Your Rights At Work
You have many rights at work. These rights are backed up by laws that apply wherever you work and whatever job you do but laws are broken and ignored all the time so unless you belong to GMB how will you make sure your rights are enforced.
- If you are working in a skilled industry such as engineering, shipbuilding or construction, or anywhere that is covered by national bargaining agreements then you are entitled to the rates of pay, holidays, overtime, bonuses and other premia set out in those agreements.
- You must be paid at least £6.31 (if you are over 22) and £5.03 if you are aged between 18 and 21, the National Minimum Wage for each hour you work. This figure is set by the Government on October 1st every year.
- You must have at least 5.6 weeks (equivalent to 28 days for someone working 5 days a week) paid holiday each year.
- You must have a 20 minute break after six hours work and 11 hours break between shifts.
- You cannot be forced to work more than 48 hours a week if you do not want to.
- You must have a written contract of employment that includes details of your job, your hours, pay and holidays.
- You have the right to work in a safe and healthy workplace
- You have the right to be paid the correct amount, on time that you have earned.
- You have the right to join a trade union to represent you and negotiate on your behalf.
- You have the right to be represented at work by your trade union to represent you and negotiate on your behalf.
- You have the right to be represented at work by your trade union at a disciplinary hearing – even if your employer does not recognise the union.
- You have the right not to be victimised for joining a trade union. It is against the law for you to be sacked for being in a union or for contacting a union.
- You have the right to get a union recognised where you work – if a majority of the workforce agree.
- You have a right against being sacked unfairly. Your employer could be made to pay you up to £50,000 if you are unfairly sacked.
- You are more likely to get these rights if you belong to GMB. GMB members work in many industries including security, retail, care, schools, health, local government, engineering, shipbuilding and repair, construction and energy.
Join immediately by clicking here